Cute mini gingerbread, decorated with icing and tiny silver balls – the perfect gift when visiting friends.
1. In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, ginger and mixed spice.
2. Put the butter, muscovado sugar, milk and golden syrup in a pan. Set over low heat and stir gently until it has completely melted and is smooth. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
3. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Mix well to make a dough. Leave until cool enough to handle, then gently knead to make a neat ball.
4. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°fan/Gas 4.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and stamp out 18 hearts and/or stars, measuring about 5cm (2in). Re-roll the trimmings as necessary. Transfer to baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 10-12 minutes.
7 Leave the biscuits to firm, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
8. Make the icing according to the packet’s instructions. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe squiggles, dots and stripes onto the biscuits. Decorate with edible silver balls. Leave to set.
These needn’t be just for Christmas; cut out small gingerbread men and ladies, letters of the alphabet or numbers with biscuit cutters and leave plain or pipe on icing and sprinkle with small sweets.